Saturday, March 12, 2011

Looking Beyond the Obvious

I joined the software industry to know how it works.  That was 13 years ago.  Now, I think, I know how it works.   The tech savy interests are more or less gone - not that they are already fulfilled.   After certain stage, I realized that at least my mind is not open enough to accomodate the "new".   Not the Object Orientation,  Java/EJB - leave alone the new stuffs in the industry and altogether related verticles of modern world like visual graphics, that is redefining the cinema industry in India  or  the items like "enterprise software architecture"  that encompasses through both hardware and deployment softwares for load balancing, routing, firewall and what not....

Well, the above is not the point relating to the subject.   Given that I am more dealing with more and more the so called "managerial" aspects in my profession,   there are always many jargons I come across.    One of them surely is "looking beyond the obvious" - Most of the times the problems are always symptoms, the root causes are elsewhere.  

But an incident with my wife was a different eye-opener.   She went with our son to a shop to buy him some dress.  My son was thirsty and asked for water.   Like any other "contemporary IT" mother,  my wife thought that he was wanting some ice-cream or a juice which is coming as this "thirsty" request.   She promised him a juice once they finish the work at the shop.  

After done the shopping, my wife looked for a juice shop.   The next door was a Restaurant cum BAR (which is not unusual in the city we live).   She asked for juice in the shop - unfortunately they did not have at that time.   She was about to come out and my son stopped her...   He told "amma,  what is the problem if they do not have the juice,  they have water ".......   

Many a times, we make our life problems compounded.  The above instance is a simple example.   Now here comes the next management jargon... "keep it simple"!!!!  I will keep an eye on my son.   He will give me another case to write on this subject.

No comments: