Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Veenaiyadi Nee Enakku - Bharathi

This article is about one of my favourite poem of Subramanya Bharathi .

I consider this song as very special for its uniqueness. In general, the poetic way of expressing love has been to place the beauty/supremacy of the beloved above the lover altogether or to show the commitment of the lover to protect/preserve the superiority of the beloved. But in this song, Bharathi had painted a totally different picture by portraying the oneness of the beloved and the lover. This is an astonishing portrayal.

For me, even in the relationship of love, it sounds a bit "unacceptable" to surrender the pride - by either of the two. In this beautiful poem, Bharathiyar has portrayed how "two" reaches their best by becoming one. As the days go by, I start to realize that love is absolute and untouchable by materialistic values ( including pride, honest, good, bad etc). I still feel that beauty of the "married life" can be first realized by recognizing the pride of individuals and then appreciating the togetherness.

The transiliteration of the poem followed my attempt of translation in English

paayumoli nee enakku paarkum vizhi nan unakku
thoyum madhu nee enakku thumbiyadi nan unakku
vaayuraikka varuguvathillai vaalinindran meanmai ellam
thuya sudar vaanoliye suraiyamuthe kannamma

( Flooding light you are to me ;  I am to you the eye, Feeling the brightness
  Flowing nectar you are to me; I am to you the Flying bee ;
   Live long your supreme nature; To list it is impossible;
   Thou are Spotless shine, essence of immortal - Kannamma )


veenaiyadi nee enakku mevum viral naanunakku
puunum vadam nee enakku puthu vaiyram nan unakku
kaanumidanthorum nindran kanninoli veesuthadi
maanudaiya perarase vaalvu nilaiye kannamma

( Musical Veena you are to me;  I am to you the Playing hand ;
  Shining Gold you are to me;  I am to you the sparkling Diamond;
  Shine of your eyes is seen everywhere ;
  Speciality is your speciality; you are my liveliness )

vaana mazhai nee enakku vanna mayil nan unakku
baanamadi nee enakku paandamadi nan unakku
nyaana oli veesuthadi nangai nindran jothimugam
uunamaru nallalaghe uuru suvaiye kannamma

( drizzling rain you are to me;  I am to you the dancing peacock ;
  fizzing drink you are to me;   I am to you the holding glass ;
  radiant is your presence
  spotless beauty you are and springing pleasure )
 
vennilavu nee enakku mevu kadal nan unakku
pannusuthi nee enakku paattinimai nan unakku
enni enni paarthidilor ennamillai ninsuvaikke
kannin mani pondravale kattiyamuthe kannamma

( luminous moon you are to me; I am to you the sea waving beneath
  mesmerizing musical you are to me; I am to you the meaningful poetry 
  even after endless thinking, nothing could i find matching your virtue
  light of the eyes you are ; everlasting pleasure you are )

veesukamazh nee enakku viriyumalar nan unakku
pesuporul nee enakku penumozhi nan unakku
nesamulla vaansudare ninnalaghai yethuraippen
aasai madhuve kaniye allu suvaiye kannamma

fragrant breeze you are To me, I am to you Blossoming flower ;
  Underlying meaning you are to me; I am to you the uttered word ;
  Loving divinity are you;  untellable beauty is yours;
  Lovely nectarful fruit is your sweetness;  Punching sweetness you are )

kaathaladi nee enakku gaanthamadi nan unakku
vethamadi nee enakku vithaiyadi nan unakku
pothamutra pothinile pongivarum theenchuvaiye
naathavadivaanavale nalla uyire kannamma

( Eternal love you are to me ;  I am to you the endearing love;
  Knowledge, you are to me;  I am to you the tactful skill;
  booming joyous, flowing in exalted stage, you are ;
  enchanting music you are;  vibrant life you are )


nallavuyir nee enakku naadiyadi nan unakku
selvamadi nee enakku semanithi nan unakku
ellaiyatra peralaghe enggum nirai potchudare
mullai nigar punnagaiyai moothuminbame kannamma

(  life you are to me; I am to you the reflecting beat ;
   prosperity you are to me;  I am to you the richness ;
   boundless beauty you are ;  omnipresent radiant you are;
   budding flower like is your smile; sparkling happiness you are )

taaraiyadi nee enakku thanmathiyam nan unakku
veeramadi nee enakku vetriyadi nan unakku
tharaniyil vaanulaghil saarnthirukkum inbamellam
ooruruvamaai samainthai ullamuthe kannamma

( star you are to me;   pleasing moon i am to you ;
  courage you are to me;  victory i am to you;
  all of the happiness of both the worlds
  descended as the one in my heart - its you )

4 comments:

A Bharathi Fan said...

Thanks for posting the meaning of this song. I really love this. I understand there could be more than one meaning of a poem, thats the beauty of it. but do you want to re-consider the meaning of this line ?

puunum vadam nee enakku puthu vaiyram nan unakku
kaanumidanthorum nindran kanninoli veesuthadi

( Musical Veena you are to me; I am to you the Playing hand ;
Shining Gold you are to me; I am to you the sparkling Diamond;

IMO, the poet considers himself a 'thread' ( vadam = kayiru, paasi nool) the thread/string that runs in ladies ornaments (ex: pearl necklace).

So, it should be "You are the thread that makes the diamond as beautiful necklace"

thanks again for posting the meaning !!

vp said...

Thank you for your comment. Agree with your explanation. The diamond in general is used in gold (either chain or nose rings or ear rings). Even though, Bharathi says it is "vadam" ( a thread ), here I have interpreted it to be the one that hold. Hence I have interpreted as "Gold" and not going by literal meaning. Hope this makes sense.

RQ said...

Hey nice translation post!
But one suggestion
5th para veesum kamzh nee enaku, viriyumalar naan unaku,
It means " To me, you are fragrant breeze, while to you, I am the blossoming flower"
For "veesu kamzh" - you wrote it as blossoming lotus is not matching the actual word!!
Very nice post!!

vp said...

Thank you for the correction.