Friday, August 26, 2016

Ninai Charanadainthaen - Bharathi

"Ninnai Charanadainthaen" - yet another beautiful poem by Subramanya Bharathi. I have heard this song, sung by Unni Krishnan in one of the karnatic album (ragam punnagavarali?).   However, I liked the song more in Ilayaraja's music in the movie "Bharathi".  

Bharathi had written poems on Lord Krishna with imagination of different roles.   The one below is written under "Kannamma - Enathu Kula Theivam" ( Kannan - my God )

The way I cherish the song is that it reflects different stages of "devotion".  

Typically,  our prayers start with wants based on our "Lust and Fear" ( independent of if they are materialistic or not,   if they linked to silly things or big ones ).  

Then we come in terms to a stage that "all are His deeds and we are just here to execute"

Then the realization comes that the way to live is "Love"... Love alone can elevate us above the negatives of life...   Still the "two" exists,  "intelligence of the self" exists.... "judgement of the self" exists....  

Finally comes the total surrendering... surrendering the intelligence..   leaving everything to the almighty..  

பல்லவி
நின்னைச் சரணடைந்தேன்-கண்ணம்மா!
நின்னைச் சரணடைந்தேன்!

Ninnai Charanadainthen - Kannamma 
Ninnai Charanadainthen 

"I surrender myself to you - Kannamma
I surrender myself to you"

---

சரணங்கள்- Stanza


பொன்னை உயர்வைப் புகழை விரும்பிடும்
என்னைக் கவலைகள் தின்னத் தகாதென்று                                       (நின்)

Ponnai uyarvaip pugazhai virumbidum
ennaik kavalaigal thinnath thagathendru

"My pursuit is for rich, pride, fame... 
I surrender to you...  let not those wants disturb my peace "
---
மிடிமையும் அச்சமும் மேவியென் நெஞ்சில்
குடிமை புகுந்தன,கொன்றவை போக்கென்று                                     (நின்)

midimaiyum acchamum mevi en nenjil 
kudimai pugunthana kondravai pokkendru 

" poverty - i interpret not just a financial state,  but in a general term , lack of capability - and fear 
have occupied in my heart and haunting me... I surrender to you...  to liberate me from them"

---
தன்செய லெண்ணித் தவிப்பது தீர்ந்திங்கு
நின்செயல் செய்து நிறைவு பெறும்வணம்                                          (நின்)

thankseyal ennith thavippathu theernthingu
ninseyal seidhu niravu perumvannam

" let that be over, the weary of doing things of me, by me, for me... 
i surrender to you, to do things of you, for you...towards sense of fulfillment "

துன்ப மினியில்லை.சோர்வில்லை,தோற்பில்லை,
அன்பு நெறியில் அறங்கள் வளர்ந்திட                                                    (நின்)

thunbam iniyillai sorvillai thorpillai
anbu neriyil arangal valarnthida

"I surrender to you...  to lead me through the path of Love; to prosper of good, with no more sorrows... no more unhelpfulness... no more losses... "


நல்லதுதீயது நாமறியோம் அன்னை
நல்லது நாட்டுக! தீமையை ஓட்டுக!                                                        (நின்)

nallathutheeyathu naamariyom annai 
nallathu naattuga theemaiyai Ottuga

"I surrender to you... I possess no intelligence, and am ignorant of good or bad....   
O Mother, let the good [in (for) me] prevail and the rest to be driven away...."

No comments: